fiverr

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - A 30-minute Instaread Summary



I have seen Gillian Flynn’s books in stores and wondered if this was an author I would enjoy.  It seemed a good way to decide would be to check out an Instaread Summary of one of the books, since I have found those summaries helpful in the past.

The broad overview of the book indicates that it is written with chapters alternating between the present and flashbacks from various characters.  I enjoy reading books with this element, as I have never been a linear thinker--I like to see the big picture from many vantage points instead.  A woman survived the home invasion that resulted in the murder of her mother and two sisters and the conviction of her brother.  As a child, she couldn't have known anything about betrayal, murder-for-hire, or other dark forces at work in her own family.

From the chapter summaries I can see that Dark Places is a murder mystery with a number of twists: a family member who may have been wrongly convicted, a child witness/survivor, and a club full of people who investigate old cases and resolve them if possible.  I was also informed, however, that none of the characters were particularly likeable.  This may be a deal-breaker for me, as my fiction reading is driven by well-developed characters who exhibit flaws, grow, and achieve some sort of satisfactory resolution of their conflicts.  I might find this novel disappointing.


I received my copy of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - A 30-minute Instaread Summary free for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment